From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:56:09 -0600
Subject:        legends for NIMA/NGA charts
Date:   Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:32:25 -0600
From:   Lee, Kent (EVC) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Kathy/Michael/List:

I asked our production team to look into this matter since we have a lot
of experience with NGA-standard products, including producing them. Here
is what our main engineer says:

(1) The remarks from Kathy below are generally very true. TPCs and other
NGA/NIMA/DMA mapping products are indeed inconsistent throughout a
global series of maps of the same scale/category. We have run into this
issue on multiple occasions creating compressed raster mosaics of
multiple ONC/TPC/JOG sheets for our clients. That matter has raised
several concerns from our clients in regards to the consistency of
symbology rules that was used to compile such maps. Please refer to the
sample below (L-03-* TPCs are shown):

(2) There could be multiple areas on a typical TPC map where elevation /
vegetation / other info is incomplete and therefore is not shown. Such
areas would intentionally be left blank.

(3) Elevation tints colors (or lack thereof) are probably the single
most definitive reason for adjacent maps to look different. In a digital
environment the scanning parameters / quality standards would also
typically contribute to further widening color discrepancies between
adjacent maps.

(4) All the “charts” (GNC/JNC/ONC/TPC/JOG) were compiled by DMA/NIMA/NGA
based on the respective military standards (MIL-O-######, MIL-T-#####,
MIL-J-#####, etc.), most of which are easily found via googling or
browsing the NGA website (www.nga.mil). (JNC charts are also produced by
the respective Australian authorities; ONC and TPC charts are also
produced by the respective UK, Canadian, and Australian authorities; and
JOGs are produced by numerous NATO and other allied countries—presumably
they all should follow the same DMA/NIMA/NGA production and symbology
standards.) For instance TPC standards are based on mil-t-89101 tpc.pdf
<file:///%5C%5Cnas%5Cevcshare%5CCARTO.DEP%5CMaps%5CGEODATA%5CTechnical_Manuals_and_Procedures%5CNGA%5CTPC%5Cmil-t-89101%20tpc.pdf>.
Every standard specifies its own set rules to determine how a certain
feature should be displayed based on combination of its FACS code and
attribute values. The symbology standard that is also referred to in any
of those product standards is MIL-STD-2402 (STANDARD PRACTICE FOR
MAPPING, CHARTING & GEODESY SYMBOLS FOR GRAPHIC PRODUCTS):
Mil-std-2402_symbols.pdf
<file:///%5C%5Cnas%5Cevcshare%5CCARTO.DEP%5CMaps%5CGEODATA%5CTechnical_Manuals_and_Procedures%5CNGA%5CMAPPING%5Cmil-std-2402_symbols.pdf>.
(Unfortunately the actual color symbols themselves are all contained in
an “Appendix A”, pp. 611-728 which must be requested from NGA via a
15-year old fax number which no longer works. If we can get it we’ll
make a posting later to Maps-L.) A more visual approach with symbols
optimized for digital display can be found in
Mil-prf-89045_2003_geosym.pdf
<file:///%5C%5Cnas%5Cevcshare%5CCARTO.DEP%5CMaps%5CGEODATA%5CTechnical_Manuals_and_Procedures%5CNGA%5CMAPPING%5Cmil-prf-89045_2003_geosym.pdf>

(5) Generally the symbology guidelines should be taken from the
respective legend for each particular chart.

Sorry it’s not simpler.

Best,

Kent

Kent D. Lee