From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:26:06 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:48:34 -0400
From: Fred Schaff <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: digital topo products (fwd)

At 08:22 AM 09/03/1999 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

        I have, use and enjoy DeLorme's TOPO Version 2.0 but recognize its
shortcomings. However, the under-$100 price covers a lot of sins for the
amateur.

        10-foot contours would be nice but that would take the current six CD-ROM
set, (only one if you have a DVD CD-ROM), to as many as 20CD-ROMs.

        A control by the operator that decides when one goes from 50-foot to
20-foot contours would also be helpful instead of the automatic change
which, sometimes, requires such a small footptint as to be not very helpful.

        However, when looking for other sources, (GIS World magazine is a good
place), most other contour software are many hundreds to several thousands
of dollars.

        Please, if there are any other options out there, be sure to reply to
MAPS-L in general rather than a reply only to the requestor.

Fred Schaff