Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 11:54:56 EDT
This message was forwarded to the list by Larry Cruse.--------Johnnie

---------------------------------- Forwarded ----------------------------------
  : Larry Cruse
       : New Internet resource
Apologies if you have seen twenty times.

    : Sun, 11 Jun 95 23:26:17 0000
    : William Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
            : Geography: Cal State U. Northridge

I am sending you this note to inform you of the creation of a new
internet resource, the California Geographical Survey. The
survey is a digital archive of geographical data, maps, and
other information dealing with California and the United States.
This site functions principally for the benefit of the
instructional programs in the Department of Geography at
California State University Northridge. However, it is also
being constructed with the intention that the general public should
benefit from the existence of a readily available source of
geographical information bearing on matters of their concern
and the formulation of public policy.

Although much of the statistical material is available through
other resources, an extensive collection of new socioeconomic
maps is being created as time and funds allow. I would especially
like to invite you to investigate the digital atlas of
Metropolitan Los Angeles County contained in the Survey's
Electronic Map Library. This, like all the other materials
contained in the archive's several sections is undergoing
constant expansion and revision.

If you have any questions, technical or topical, please feel
free to contact me via internet. I will try to answer your
questions and assist your investigations as far as my academic
responsibilities allow. However, due to the strained fiscal
climate of the State of California, I will not normally respond
to telephone calls or letters.

I particularly hope that you enjoy looking at the maps of Los Angeles.
They document many of the economic and ethnic issues confronting
this most populous county in the nation. I also welcome your
suggestions concerning matters of interest to you. As time allows,
I will be adding many more items for internet dissemination. If you
make your needs known, you may find them met within the Survey's
growing collections.

During this early period of our development, we are especially
interested in hearing from you. Your ideas concerning the
resources, their accessibility, and their future development
will influence what we do.

The California Geographical Survey is a resource of the Department
of Geography at California State University, Northridge. As such,
it is a creation of the department's employees and students, who
are responsible for it's operation. Many of its documents are
the intellectual property of individuals who have loaned their
works as a public service. They request that users observe their
rights and refrain from copying their works except for non-profit
classroom instruction within the public schools of California.
Internet users wishing to make copies for other purposes should
contact the individual authors via the network.

The Department of Geography at California State University
has been a leader in mapping and geographical education
for more than three decades. You are invited to contact the
department and its faculty if you wish further information.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

INTERNET ACCESS ADDRESSES

http://geogdata.csun.edu/   (California Geographical Survey)
    http://geogdata.csun.edu/library.html  (The Electronic Map Library)
         Lots of maps
        http://geogdata.csun.edu/census.html  (Census Data Archive)
         1990 Census tract data for all of California
             1990 County data for the United States
                 Historical census data for the United States
        http://geogdata.csun.edu/cart.html  (Cartographic Resources)
             TIGER/Line files for all of California's counties

Additional information about California State University Northridge
and its Department of Geography:

http://www.csun.edu/  (California State University, Northridge)
http://www.csun.edu/~hfgeg003/  (CSUN Geography Home Page)

Accessing information and maps from the Survey presumes that
users have at least some experience using Mosaic, Netscape, or
some other appropriate computer application. Most maps were
created in a variety of Macintosh mapping programs and then
stored in GIF format for ease of digital transmission and use.
In many cases, the original maps were produced in color and at
much larger sizes.

Statistical data are normally stored as DBase or text files. These
may be downloaded in binary format and used by any number of
popular computer applications. Users are cautioned, however, that
many of these files are larger than 10 megabytes. If you have
concerns concerning technical issues, you should contact either:

Dr. William Bowen
Professor of Geography
Department of Geography
California State University Northridge