From:
Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 14:35:52 EDT

Author:  /S=lis-maps-request/O=mailbase/ADMD= /PRMD=UK.AC/C=GB at X.400
Date:    28/06/95 13:37

** This is being sent to lismaps, MapHist, MapsL.  Please excuse
the cross-posting **

                  DR HELEN WALLIS OBE (1924-1995)

Subscribers may like to know of three ways in which Helen's life
and career are being commemorated.  On May 9th, a memorial
meeting was held in her honour at the Royal Geographical Society,
London.  For that occasion an 84-page volume, 'The Globe my
World' was produced, containing tributes from 61 former friends
and colleagues.

On that same occasion extracts were shown from 'Dr Helen Wallis
Reminiscing', a 90-minute video of Helen talking in her St John's
Wood flat in August 1994 to Sarah Tyacke and Tony Campbell, about
the people and incidents of her professional life outside the
Library, and particularly about her travels.

At the end of the meeting it was announced, on behalf of the
British Library's Chief Executive, that an annual 'Helen Wallis
Fellowship' was to be established.  'Preference will be given to
proposals which relate particularly to the Library's collections,
which seek to explore the interdependence of cartographic and other
sources in historical investigation, and which have an
international dimension'.

A separate Helen Wallis fund has now been established and further
donations are cordially invited.  (Please contact me if you would
like information about tax-effective ways of donating, whether in
pounds or dollars).  In addition, it is possible to obtain copies
of the tributes volume (8 pounds postfree in the UK; 10 pounds or
18 dollars airmail outside the UK) and of the video, supplied in
the appropriate format for the country concerned (15 pounds
post-free in the UK; 18 pounds or 32 dollars airmail outside the
UK).  Since we have to batch up orders for copies of the video so
as to obtain a reasonable price, we must ask for your patience.

Cheques (sterling, dollar or Eurocheques) should be made out
please to 'THE BRITISH LIBRARY' (where it will be placed in the
special account) and sent to me.  Any profit on the volume or
video will go to the Fellowship Fund.

      ** The British Library is an exempt registered charity **

Tony Campbell, Map Librarian, The British Library, Great Russell
Street, London WC1B 3DG, UK

Phone: [0] 171 412 7525           Fax: [0] 171 412 7780