From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:46:49 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: deaccessioning of national topographic map collections
<fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Alice, and colleagues.  I cannot speak for very many libraries other
than my own, but I can answer your questions this way.

Yes, I try to have as complete a collection as possible of 7.5-minute, and
where available, older 15-minute quadrangles of all 50 states, outlying
areas (Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and recently Guam!).  I seek to retain
a copy of each edition, for their historical coverage.

Two dynamics prevent completion of this collection in the terms of that
goal.  One is that for many state series, our selection for deposit began
in the late '70s or early '80s.  The other is that users make
contributions of maps they had acquired but no longer need.  Other
libraries in the area, and academic departments (Geology recently,
Geography frequently, and others) also turn surplus sheets over to us.
These two dynamics result in 1. gaps in holdings, and 2. lots, and lots of
duplicates of some sheets.  Therefore I have been a frequent requestor of
some of the offers to fill gaps.  I have also made offers to get rid in a
useful way of those unwanted duplicates.

I have noticed on occasion that when I have claimed a batch of unnamed
sheets of a state, that the offering library has sent earlier editions
superseded new editions recently shipped from USGS.  I presume in those
instances that the offering library has a policy of retaining only the
current edition.  There is much value for libraries to retain the earlier
editions.  There may be overriding contingencies that do not permit
some libraries to do so, such as lack of space or lack of demand, or they
may be policies developed in ignorance.

A final thought with regard to duplicates.  There are some areas where I
have found it worthwhile to retain duplicate copies of an edition:
1. the immediate area.  I have demand for as many copies of any edition I
can get my hands on.
2. the state generally and the bordering states.  I can probably use one
or two duplicates of any edition, but I may draw the line at more copies
than that.
3. areas of frequent interest to students and scholars.  Duplicates of
these can be useful, but of other areas, one copy of an edition is
sufficient.

Thus, there are many areas I can and do request from the offerers, and
there are often reasons within the policies I follow, to withdraw and
offer duplicates I don't need. I have forced myself not to fret over the
reasons they were given up by the offering library.  I know in the case of
my offers that they have gone to places where they were welcomed.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---