From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:20:51 -0600
Subject: RE: map cataloging question re: date of publication vs. date of
              situation
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 20:10:53 +0000
From: Christopher Winters <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Not sure I completely agree. For historical maps--modern maps that show
historical events or processes--many libraries (including this one) tend
to use S thematic codes plus publication date in the call number. The
date of situation is implied by what comes after the S. A modern map
showing particular conditions in the Middle Ages might then have a call
number like G5701.S2 [pub. date] .[main entry Cutter].

I don't believe LC has ever quite decided which S codes you should use
between S12 and S65, so it _is_ hard to be consistent here. And I
acknowledge that the distinction between a map of a place at a
particular point in time and one that focuses on historical events or
processes is not always clear ...

Chris Winters
University of Chicago Library