From:
"A. Cope" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:35:33 -0500
Subject:        The Great White Spaces
Date:   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:26:19 -0700
From:   Brian Bach <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

All,

Having just received the latest map supplement from the October, 2006
issue of 'National Geographic': 'The United States' political with
'History of the Land' physical on the reverse, I couldn't help but be
struck by the presentation. I noticed with interest that the USA was
presented in isolated form, with no contextual cartography except for
faint Great Lakes and Lake of the Woods delineation. The background is
simple: plain, white space. The clarity is superb, and the usual
impeccable NGS cartography is shown off to great effect. It is an
excellent map, in my opinion, and most helpful. To my recollection
though, I have never known NGS to use this approach in so bold a way
before. The holistic concept has been set aside with the accent now on
borders. This is certainly a timely notion, but can any influence
by/from Homeland (in)Security be detected?

I am reminded of the US County series from USGS, which placed the
essential goal of the map in sensible pride of place.

Can we now expect uniform treatment for Mongolia, Lithuania, et al?

Brian

Brian P. Bach
Documents/Maps
Brooks Library