From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:43:28 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Rick Grapes" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:18:26 PM
Subject: linking IA to local collections

To whomever is interested,

We here at BYU have just finished linking up a set of our Germany Gazetteers available on Internet Archive, with a set of Germany AMS maps we have stored digitally here locally. Has anyone been able to do something similar using Internet Archive, and I was wondering if their usage stats or patterns have changed accordingly?

If you want to see what we've done, here's how it works. Just access http://archive.org/details/byumapcollections This will take you to Internet Archive’s BYU Map Collections.

Click on G under Browse by title , and the 4 volume AMS gazetteers will display. One volume for East Germany, and 3 volumes for West. Click on any of the 4 volumes to open the record. Under Description you’ll see instructions on how to navigate to specific maps. These same instructions are found for each volume. On the left, under View the Book , click on any of the viewing options listed. For our purposes Read Online is fastest. Once the gazetteer is open, navigate to a place name you’re interested in. Click on the page, or use the page layout and magnification tools along the bottom. Once you have a place and sheet number, navigate back to the title record, and click on BYU’s Germany Map page , imbedded in the instructions text. Once the BYU page is displayed, enter the sheet number into the search box, and a map, within which this place name is located, will appear. You’ll have to visually scan the map to find the place, especially if it’s a small hamlet and not dominant on the map. We are missing a few of these Germany maps. So in the rare chance your sheet number search turns up negative, try another.

If you find this helpful, or see changes that need to be made, let us know.

Thanks,

Rick Grapes

BYU Map Collection