Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:15:30 -0500
Subject:        RE: Library school recommendations
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:23:09 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

It may be that my experience is similar to others, but here is how I did it.  You may not find a library school that has a 'map library program'.  That is far too specialized for a graduate school to develop a program to support.  Find schools that you like for the rest of your criteria.  You may want to look for course offerings related to special libraries (consider joining Special Libraries Association as a student member).  Look for schools at institutions with libraries that include a notable map collection.  Most schools will offer independent study opportunities.  See if the Map Librarian or equivalent will allow you to have an independent study with her or him.

This is one thing I was unable to do:
If you choose schools with Geography departments, especially those that have cartography or GIS programs or certifications, consider that, as well.

In other words, you will probably be happiest choosing a school that meets your overall needs and wants.  Then, craft your own map librarianship program.

Ken

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA