From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:48:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Map Cataloger qualifications
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:25:22 -0400
From: Howard Stone <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
How about:
MLS from an ALA-accredited program
Familiarity with OCLC or another bibliographic utility
Knowledge of AACR2, LC rule interpretations, LC classification, LC
subject
headings, and MARC formats
Familiarity with cataloging electronic resources
Basic knowledge of cartography, geography, geographic information
systems,
and geospatial data
Physical ability to lift and handle maps
Knowledge of a foreign language preferred

In a job description, a map cataloger may be asked to assist with
collection development of cartographic materials, or map/GIS reference
service.

Howard Stone
Catalog Librarian, Brown University