From:
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:04:36 EST
At 01:38 PM 27-02-98 EST, you wrote:
>Greetings, MapFolks:
>
>I have two grad students rapidly approaching defense who have come to me
>with this situation:
>
>They both are going to have large format color geologic maps in their
>theses, and they intend to produce them on a color plotter here.  However,
>their experience is that the plotter color will begin to fade instantly,
>and they're wondering about reproducing the plates from the plotter output
>in some other more stable technology.  These will be your standard geologic
>maps, although one is an 85" long cross-section.
>
>I went to look at my copy of the Geologic Map of Kansas (as you probably
>know the 1991+ 'editions' of this map are done one-off on a color plotter,
>and I wondered how that color was holding up), only to discover that the
>order was never quite completed, so I can't look at it.  Can anybody else
>assess for me about how that's holding up?  It could be that these guys are
>overly critical about the durability of the inks off the plotter, but I'm
>thrilled that they're concerned about the archival quality!
>
>I don't think I've been keeping up on the technology.  Can anybody help?
>What's out there in terms of reasonably-priced large-format color
>reproduction that would be able to deal with this kind of material?  Is
>there now a color version of the large-format b/w photocopiers that we've
>gotten so used to?
>
>Thanks in advance for all your help.  Respond to the group if you like, or
>to me personally and I'll summarize.
>
>Jim
>

>Jim O'Donnell
>Geological & Planetary Sciences Librarian
>California Institute of Technology
>100-23
>Pasadena, California   91125
>626/395-2199
>fax:  626/568-0935

Jim,

HP recently upgraded the firmware/software/inkware of out HP 2500CP to
include the ability to print light-resistant images.  The use is for
fadeproof outdoor advertising but could work well for your students.

Stephen Baig

Oceanographer,
TPC/National Hurricane Center
Miami, FL

>From: William Penberthy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Large-scale reasonably-priced color repro?
>Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:18:02 -0700

I have found that the glossier the paper, the better it seems to hold up.  I have also heard
about spraying a THIN layer of lacquer (not liquor) or clear plastic spray over the map.  This
makes it a little more difficult to fold, but what is life without complications?

Has anybody out there tried this?

Bill Penberthy.......................Educational Research and Design
Geoinfosys...........................Market Research and Demographics
1587 Locust Street................Custom Cartography
Denver, Colorado 80220.........GIS Consulting
(303) 399-8517......................Digital Mapping Data