From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judy Buys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:48:12 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:52:49 -0600
From: Judy Buys <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mapping FGDC Metadata In and Out of CORC
Sender: Judy Buys <[log in to unmask]>

     This was posted on the CORC-L listserv for comments, and I
     thought you would also be interested.
 The EEIRC is part of a DOE funded Energy and Environmental Technical
Applications Program (EETAP)at the University of Southwestern Lousiana,
Lafayette, LA. Three of the EEIRC staff members are located in the USGS National
Wetlands Research Center Library and have been working on a project
      to map FGDC/NBII data into Dublin Core and USMARC formats
     to improve search capabilities by putting those records in other
     formats and other search engines.

_

     During the first CORC Users Group meeting at OCLC in April, we met
     colleagues who share our interest in importing Federal Geographic
     Data Standard (FGDC) metadata into CORC. We have written a paper
     that is the first draft of a proposed mapping of FGDC into Dublin
     Core (DC) and USMARC. It is available through our Web site at:

     http://eeirc.nwrc.gov/pubs/crosswalk/fgdc-marc-dc.htm

     Our focus is on conversion issues as they relate to the OCLC
     Cooperative Online Resource Cataloging project. The paper presents
     an analysis of 466 FGDC metadata records housed in the NBII node of
     the FGDC Clearinghouse, with special emphasis on the length of
     fields and the total length of records in this set. The primary
     contribution presented in the paper is a 34 element crosswalk, a
     proposal which takes into consideration the constraints of the MARC
     standard and the realities of user behavior.

     The paper is also a request for comment. We are actively seeking
     comment and debate among and with our colleagues at OCLC and in the
     CORC Users Group. We are particularly interested in comments on
     what other FGDC elements ought to be mapped and how to translate
     them into DC.

     Adam Chandler and Dan Foley
     [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
--- End Forwarded Message ---