From:
Chris Ziegler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1993 11:54:41 EDT
Here is the promised information on the "oversized" photocopier now
used in the University of Arizona Library.
It is a Xerox Model 2510 Engineering copier and the setup includes
a Xerox Cutty One roll paper cutter.  I was told the paper cutter is
optional, but economical, as paper is cheaper in the roll form and has
the added advantage of various size sheets to be cut.
The library owns the copier (vs. a lease agreement) and the total cost
for copier, cutter, and stand was about $7500.00.  It was purchased through
a local Tucson blueprint company.  A newer model is now available
(#2525) which is believed to make sharper copies.
We have found that as with other copying processes, that the quality
of the copy made depends pretty much on the quality of the original.
If there is a lot of dark color on the original, the quality of the
print is poor.  We have allowed encapsulated maps to be passed
through the rollers of the map without ill effect.  We do not allow
maps with slight tears or flaking to be copied on this machine.  It
would be possible to place the map between 2 pieces of mylar but to
date we have not done this.  A student assistant is trained to do
this copying after the patron's order request form has been signed
off by a staff member.  Hope this helps.
Chris Ziegler
Map Collection
Univ. of Arizona Library