From:
Yves Tessier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:48:45 EST
Sometime ago, the question was raised: what is the best atlas for Canada? If
I had to recommend the best atlas for Quibec, what would I suggest? Well ...
no title really comes to my mind. BUT, if you want the best INTRODUCTORY (or
reference) atlas for  Quibec, here it is:

Picard, Jean-Luc.
ATLAS  L'ACTUEL: LE QUEBEC ET SES REGIONS, LE CANADA ET SES REGIONS, LE MONDE.
Montreal: Centre educatif et culturel, 1994. 160 pages
ISBN 2-7617-1083-5
40$C approx.

Centre educatif et culturel
8101, boul. Metropolitain Est
ANJOU (Quibec)
H1J 1J9

The main sections are:
- Generalities about maps and mapping
- Location: Canada, Quibec and the World (p. 20-30)
- Historical: from the first nations up to Canada in 1999 (Nunavut
mapped...) (p. 31-59)
- General geography of Quibec: physical and human (p. 60-84)
- Regional geography of Quibec: each of the 16 administrative regions with
their features (p. 85-120)
- General geography of Canada: physical and human (p. 121-134)
- Regional geography of Canada: five regions (p. 135-147)
- Place name index

This atlas was originally intended for schools and was prepared by a teacher
at the primary level (the title page even states that is is intended for the
second cycle of the primary level). Believe me, this atlas is in no way
primitive in design and contents (not to say "precambrian"), as we too
regrettably saw poor examples of school atlases in the past. Forget
completely about the stated destination! This is a remarkably  INSTRUCTIONAL
atlas intended for whoever wants a good introduction to Quibec geography and
history. The design is superb (no exaggeration) and multimedia in style. And
it is the only one to portray regions. The most convenient reference atlas
for Quebec!
Yours to enjoy!

By the way, what would the best reference atlas be for each of the other
canadian provinces?

Yves Tessier, Chef
Cartotheque, Bibliotheque de l'Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
tel:  418.656.2131 poste 7933       fax:  418.656. 7793