From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:52:56 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:23:40 -0500
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Map Copyright Question <fwd>
Sender: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>

Here is how I understand the situation, in the USA at any rate:

1. If the image you plan to reproduce is the original, and you have
permission from the owner, it is several hundred years out of copyright.

2. If the image you plan to reproduce is a photographic reproduction
produced before 1926 in the US, you are almost certainly free and clear.

3. If the image you plan to reproduce is a photographic reproduction of more
recent vintage, you will probably have to get the permission of the
photographer (if it is a photo print), the publisher (if it is from a
journal or book), or whomever the copyright holder is OF THAT PHOTO (owner
of web site, etc).

4. You may need to get permission from the owner of the object itself. The
copyright holder of the image of the object may have restrictions placed on
his/her right to license the image (most museums do this to retain control
of reproduction rights for images from their collection)

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.

>From: Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]