From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia R. Hetrick
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:31:07 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:06:34 -0700
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Pervasive Computing
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

While I was reading Lily's note about the public toilets, I was thinking
the whole time about how people would access the information in a
"timely" manner.  ;-)

Then I remembered my trusty Visor which has a connection to my cell
phone.  The combination would work just fine.  And, actually, the way
cell phones are developing such that they actually are going to wind up
being PDAs as well soon I think we won't need the connecting wire.
Right now, if I could deal with the little tiny screen, I could access
my email from my cell phone.

This whole process is part of what is called "pervasive computing" where
there are what you might think as "skeletonized" devices that provide
the information without the glitz and flash (think old-style web
pages).  A number of coming changes to various standards for the tools
used to create Internet "stuff" take the variety of device capabilities
into account.

vh
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]