From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:42:00 -0500
-
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE:      MAPS-L: storing maps in boxes
Date: Tues, 25 Oct 2005
From: McEathron, Scott R <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC: <[log in to unmask]>

Michael,

I think the project is brilliant. However, it has already been done.

Donna Koepp did a similar project when she was here at the University of
Kansas Libraries.  So, I guess she would be well qualified to judge your
sanity.

My opinion, from seeing and working with the storage of about 50,000
encapsulated maps from the serial set, is that boxes would not be a good
solution.  The map library here utilizes 24 5-drawer large Hamilton map
cases and 4 5-drawer super large Hamilton map cases to store serial set
maps.  The drawers are extremely heavy because of all the archival
polyester film.  In other words, boxes would not be easy to
handle....and you will need a lot of them.  However, it would be a good
way to build upper body strength.

Better to get some good map cases.

Scott R. McEathron
Map Librarian
T. R. Smith Map Collections
Anschutz Library -- University of Kansas
1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS  66045-7537