From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 17:24:49 EST
5 messages.-------------------------------Johnnie

>Date:    Fri, 17 Nov 95 07:20 PST
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question

My most astonishing reference question: Please give me a map showing rainfall
and climatic conditions in 13th century Iraq!  Another favorite: Where is the
Comer(sic) and why do the Gypsies go there? Lastly: I'm not joking, Lady, but
have you ever heard of a place called Bessarabia?I LOVE REFERENCE. Portia, UCLA

>Date:         Fri, 17 Nov 95 10:30:16 EST
>From:
 "Howard Stone, Map Cataloger, Brown Univ. Library" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: What is the strangest question

re: Strange questions

A few years ago, at a rodeo in Calgary, I got into a conversation with a young
woman sitting next to me. She asked me where I was from, I answered "Rhode
Island", and she asked me "What state is that in?" A couple of days later, in
Banff National Park, I was asked if Rhode Island was part of New York.

>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 95 08:55:23 CST
>From: "Gerry STREY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What is the strangest questions. . .

Speaking of sad but scary, there was the man who wanted the maps and land
records of King Solomon's expedition to Canada. . .he was a direct descedant
and wanted to claim his inheiritance.

Gerry Strey
State Historical Society of Wisconsin

>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 17:51:51 -0500 (EST)
>From: World Space Corporation <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question

RE globe requests of cities and states: Not that strange - since some
companies market items such as a Globe of Berlin (5' diameter) for
whatever reason... can be bought in souvenir shops in Berlin.

Ingo Gunther

>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:20:58 +0100
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject:  What is the strangest question (A)

Darius Bartlett and Michael J. Horner would be surprised to know
that we have in our collection a GLOBE of Berlin. Its description
is:

Berlin / cartography: Karl-F. Harig. -- [Copenhagen] :
Scan-Globe, cop. 1993. -- 1 globe : in color ; diameter ca. 15
cm.

I forgot why Scan-Globe created this globe as promo-article.
Maybe it had something to do with the 16th ICA conference in 1993
in Germany.

Since we gather curiosa as hobby (little costing items ranging
from sugar-bags through children's tea-sets and whiskey-bottles
in the shape of Africa to garments [as member of the organizing
committee of the 13th Imago Mundi conference in 1989 I received
from our American colleagues a blue T-shirt with a 17th century
hemisphere and the text "Go Blaeu"]) I'm not so easily
dumbfounded by moronic questions.

Lots of fun!

Jan Smits
Map Curator Royal Library, National Library of The Netherlands