From:
David Sauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 23:16:04 EST
The discussion about PC-Globe inspired me to try loading it under
Windows (tm) to see if its memory management and virtual memory
handled the new version ("Maps 'n' Facts") better than generic DOS.
In all fairness to the programmers at Broderbund, it does run much
more quickly under Windows.  When I can get the time to set up
"Direct Access" for a secure menu to our Windows programs, I'll
make "Maps 'n' Facts" available to the public again.  Printing maps
from this program still takes quite a while -- 3 minutes for the "proof"
quality print (quite usable for all but the most demanding), and 7
(yes, seven) for the "best" quality print on an HP IIIp laser printer
with 5Mb of memory.  And, as I said before, the quality of the maps
is a considerable improvement over PC-Globe version 5.

David Sauer -- Stone Library, Boston Univ. (College of Liberal Arts)