From:
Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:05:21 EST
   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]    wrote:
> Most frustrating is the fact that all the title info. is on the cover, so,
> since we pull off covers because they tend to catch on other maps in a
> drawer and tear them and/or take up additional critical space, someone
> casually leafing through the folder it is in might not instantly recognize
> what he/she is looking at! I feel funny about having a bib. record with a
> specific title and then once the cover is tossed the physical piece really
> does *not* have a title! Just another complication...

  We used to do this, too, for the same reason.  Then our
preservation librarian proposed an alternative approach: keep them in
the cover, folded up, in vertical files, AND in outer book-like
covers which his department makes for each map.  Makes for both
preservation of map and ease of circulation (which we do).
   Main drawback is that it creates a separate run of call numbers, a
separate location which can be overlooked by the casual browser who
doesn't find it using the online catalog. -- KR

Ken Rockwell
"Just another map librarian" at
Marriott Library
University of Utah