From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:20:30 EST
3 messages.------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:39:06 -0500
>From: "John P. Farrell" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: GIS and cartography

with out much of a cartographic background but to be a GIS professional
one must first be well founded in cartography.

>From: William Penberthy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: GIS and cartography
>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:31:33 -0700

Ohhh, Interesting question that you pose...

Yes and yes.  Cartography and GIS are symbiotic, but I see GIS as being the cartography
of the future.  As GIS tools get more powerful and simpler to use, it is much easier to get
output that is correct and attractive.  And it is MUCH EASIER to do complete maps in a
digital format than in any other format.  I know people that do their map design the "old way",
only using "new" tools such as CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator.  To me this makes very little sense.
There is no ability to layer or add new geographic points and information automatically.

Remember the older ways of cartographic design and the difficulties of altering maps?  With
a competent GIS package it is simply point-and-click.  It is more efficient if, perhaps, less fulfilling.

I doubt that any cartography functions will be done without a GIS package in 5 years.

Bill Penberthy.......................Educational Research and Design
Geoinfosys...........................Market Research and Demographics
1587 Locust Street................Custom Cartography
Denver, Colorado 80220.........GIS Consulting
(303) 399-8517......................Digital Mapping Data