From:
"Bruce B. Harper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1993 14:12:48 EDT
On Wed, 8 Sep 1993 17:19:35 EDT <[log in to unmask]> said:
>This may be old stuff  to long timers on maps-l. But...here goes, has anyone
>produced software for 5-digit zip code areas?
>
>Our information is that local zip code area are under the control of local
>postmasters, etc. . . .
>Can't remember the source of this info, but suspect it was a reader...
>
>Thanks for any help out there, Alice [log in to unmask]

  I'll pop up from my lurking status to offer not software but at least a
source for information.  I have been analyzing our personnel data base for
a standardization project and one sticky area was having correct city/ZIP
information.  I had a data base that came with a database software package,
which I updated with information on ZIP Codes from the _National
Five-Digit ZIP Code and Post Office Directory_ published by the National
Information Data Center, P.O. Box 2977, Washington, DC. The two-volume
directory is $29.95 and is issued yearly under a non-exclusive license from
the United States Postal Service.  That might at least give you a lead on
the how and why of ZIP code assignments, since there is a lot of information
about mail processing and how to use the system to your advantage.  The
book does include zone maps of the states showing the distribution of
ZIP codes by the first three digits, so someone does have a rough idea of
where some boundries are located.

                                                  Bruce

  Bruce B. Harper, data analyst
  Code and Data Standardization Project
  130 Smyth Hall, Institutional Research
  Virginia Tech,  Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0433
                                  (703)231-5019  <----- NOTE NEW NUMBER!
  BHARPER@VTVM1 (BITNET) or [log in to unmask] (Internet)