Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:25:16 -0600
Subject:        RE: What pocket map of California did John Muir use?
Date:   Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:22:49 -0500
From:   April Carlucci <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Mary

I'll kick off the discussion with some general observations about 19th
century popular maps, although others can certainly add more specific and
authoritative information.

What comes to mind immediately is a fairly small map printed on lightweight
or tissue paper, and folded into a small book-like leather cover sized to
fit into the traveller's pocket. However, it may be that the map was not
published with that specific intent, and may have been originally sold flat
and without cover, particularly if the word "pocket" or "traveller's" (etc)
does not appear in the title of the map itself, as is often the case. The
map could then have been folded and pasted into a cover either by the
publisher or a map-seller, in order to cash in on the travel market, or even
by a previous owner of the map who wanted the added convenience of the
pocket size and protection offered by the cover. While I can't swear to
these possibilities, I've seen enough variations in "pocket maps in covers"
to suggest these ideas.

It's also possible the map wasn't all that small. Some pocket maps are quite
thick when folded depending on the size and thickness of the paper, and open
up to a sizable map. We see pocket maps today which have been mounted on
linen, but did they start out that way?

This of course makes it more difficult to narrow down what pocket map of
California John Muir used.

Perhaps Muir could have used a similar treatment on the rolled maps he found
himself carrying west.

Hope this helps.

April Carlucci
Catalog Librarian for Maps