From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angela Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:57:09 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:25:43 -0600
From: Angela Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mapping the Election
Sender: Angela Lee <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all-

A timely idea from Linda Zellmer, ASU:

"I am working on a set of maps (political affiliation in State Senate and
House districts).  This idea has inspired me.  Granted, the elections are
only a week away.  However, perhaps libraries with GIS services could
develop similar maps for their states.  The URLs could be posted on a
central site (call it the Geography Network's Operation Election or
something like that.)"

The election provides a great opportunity to make some maps that will help
people participate in our democracy - you could map your state's Senate or
House races, make a map of polling places, maps the election results - the
possibilities are endless.

A new lesson on ArcLessons (www.esri.com/arclessons keyword=election)
includes a data set on voter registration and voter turnout as well as
Electoral votes per state.  Boundaries for the 106th Congress are available
on the National Atlas (www.nationalatlas.gov).  Other information may be
available through your state's GIS Data Clearinghouse.

If you would like to make or have made some maps related to the election,
please let me know and I will create a page on the ESRI web site with the
URLs.

And be sure to vote!
Angela Lee
ESRI Schools and Libraries Program