Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:34:32 -0600
Subject:        Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [HORIZON-L] Map diacritics - ours now display
properly]
Date:   Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:14:56 -0700
From:   Kall, Nancy (CR) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

We have Horizon 7.3. I have found that entering diacritics isn't the
easiest thing to do in Horizon. What I typically do after I've imported
an OCLC record that has the superscript zero in the 255 field is to copy
the degree symbol from an existing Horizon map record and paste it as
appropriate into the 255, replacing the existing superscript zeroes. The
diacritic shortcut bar in Horizon has never worked well for me, although
entering the the ALA hex code for the degree symbol or any other
diacritic does work (see the Horizon Basics Guide, p. 3-19&20). (See
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/latin1/3.html#ED
<http://www.cs.tut.fi/%7Ejkorpela/latin1/3.html#ED> for one source of
the 4-digit hex codes).

FYI, awhile back our Horizon Systems Administrator ran a SQL search in
order to replace all the superscript 0 codes with the degree code (see
below for the message she had sent to the Horizon listserv on this). Now
the degree symbol displays properly in all map records in our public
catalog (versus displaying as a "0" which made coordinate data very
difficult to decipher in our OPAC).

N. Kall
Catalog Librarian, History Research Center
Douglas County Libraries
  100 S. Wilcox Street
  Castle Rock CO 80104
  Map