From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:23:37 -0400

Subject: More Florida Hurricane News
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:35:25 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L (E-mail) <[log in to unmask]>

This memo is the next chapter of Hurricanes versus Florida Map Libraries and
Librarians.

Thank you all for your good wishes and concerns.  The University of Florida
Map & Imagery Library made it through our third Hurricane with only a minor
leak in the ceiling.  The eye of Hurricane Jeanne pasted about 30 miles
south of us which means we were on the bad northeast side of the hurricane.
The winds were approx 70 mph at the worst and extended 130 miles out from
the Eye.  There were a number of tornados and the winds and rain took out
many of the remaining  huge oak and pine trees.  We had enormous power
outages, damaged homes and flooding.  I had to evacuate my home again for 3
days because of sewer water in my home and power outages.  The land already
soaked from Hurricane Frances could not absorb all the rain from Jeanne.
This weekend I hope to get the large tree limbs off my house and yard.  I am
luckier than many of my friends who are still without power, have holes in
their roofs and/or live near the major rivers that are flooding.

Hopefully this is the last time this year that I will need to post a message
to Maps-L about Hurricanes in Florida.  As you can imagine many people with
little left have still shown strength and humor.  I have tried to post a
copy of the new map of Florida that has been circulating.  For those of you
outside the United States, a little explanation probably is necessary.
Every time television shows hurricane preparedness or hurricanes in Florida
they show pictures of people standing in line to get plywood to cover
windows or they show people putting up plywood on windows--thus the caption
on the map.
  <<NewestFLpostcard2.jpg>>

Thanks again to those of you who emailed me.  With any luck the rest of the
2004 hurricanes and tropical storms will all die at sea!
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Libraries