Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 14:42:54 EST
[Reposted on GIS-L and MAPS-L.  We were having problems with our systems when
we tried to post it, so I'm not sure that it ever made it to the lists.]

As many of you know, the (US) Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) is
developing a content standard for spatial metadata.  The preliminary revised
draft of the standard, dated July 23, 1993, is available by anonymous FTP from
waisqvarsa.er.usgs.gov [130.11.51.187], directory wais/docs, in file
metadata.893.text.  We plan to complete the revised draft by the end of
January, and will post the new text at the same site.

There seems to be much interest in using the standard to track current data
holdings, to provide information during transfer, and to provide information
to data clearinghouse, brokers, etc.  We also have received comments that the
draft (like many standards) is hard to use.

We would appreciate your suggestions of means of encouraging the use of the
standard.  What tools would make the standard usable?  Training aids?
Software?  How should the software be implemented?

I'll summarize the comments for the list.  Thanks in advance for your
suggestions.

Michael A. Domaratz
FGDC Executive Secretary