From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:50:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Media Library Map Collection]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:15:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I would very definitely agree in general about David's statement below.
However, there can be some good reason to keep a small number of older
maps showing such places as Southeastern, Southern and Central Europe,
the
Soviet Union, and other places where boundaries have changed, as long as
you have a new map to show the current situation. An older world map as
well as a current world map is equally useful.  The curriculum is bound
have some courses covering recent world events, and having maps of the
time period, not just a recent world history atlas, is helpful to show,
yes Yugoslavia really did encompass more than only the coalition of
Serbia
and Montenegro.  To see that Kazakhstan and other Central Asian states
were not independent as recently as 12 years ago with a map from (say)
1990 tells the students that history happens in their lifetimes, not
just
a long time ago.  These types of maps can also show changes in names of
countries, such as with Zaire / Democratic Republic of Congo.

These are all situations that can be covered with a basic world map and
basic map of a continent or region, an older one and a new one.

Yes, in general you will need current rather than retrospective mapping,
but I would certainly say weed judiciously!  In other words, you are
developing a collection, not really building a new one 'from scratch'.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA