From:
"Jim Walsh." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1993 15:09:01 EDT

        This message is being cross-posted on a three different lists.  Please
excuse the duplication (GOVDOC-L; MAPS-L; and GODIG-L).  Please feel free to
forward this message to any other list that you think might be interested in
what I'm about to say.

        The ALA RBMS/GODORT/MAGERT Joint Committee on Government Documents as
Rare Books (hereinafter called the Joint COmmittee
ommittee) has compiled, edited, and
printed its preservation packet, RARE AND VALUABLE DOCUMENTS: A RESOURCE PACKET
ON IDENTIFICATION, PRESERVATION, AND SECURITY ISSUES FOR GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS
COLLECTIONS (hereinafter called the Preservation Packet).  There was a notice
published in Administrative Notes (v.14, no.6, March 15, 1993) that described
the history of the packet, its format and contents, and a publication/
distribution schedule.  Like all deadlines, this one was extended.

        This was mentioned at the recent Depository Library Conference that
was held in Rosslyn, VA and a similar note will appear in Administrative
Notes (April 30, 1993).

        The April 30, 1993 distribution date has been moved back.  Depository
libraries should expect to receive the Preservation Packet sometime by the end
of May/beginning of June, 1993.

        Right now I have 23 boxes (that's 1,420 preservation packets) stacked
next to my desk.  I hope to have these addressed, labeled, sealed, and in the
the mail to GPO by the end of this week (4/30/93).  They are being mailed to
GPO via U.S. mail at library rate.  So it may take awhile.  Once they arrive
at GPO one copy of the Preservation Packet will be placed in a shipment box
for each U.S. GPO Depository Library.  The other factor that comes into play
on the delivery of the Preservation Packet to a depository library is the
library's item number selection %.  If you select a limited number of item
numbers, it may be awhile before that box is filled and mailed to you.

        Why am I saying all this, you ask?  I am saying this so people will
not start calling me on April 30th (or before for that matter) wanting to
know where their packet is.  Please be patient.  It will get to you.

        There are no extra copies of the Preservation Packet available.  So,
I won't be able to send you extr copies.  However, feel free to copy the
packet that you receive.  Actually, we hope you will copy it and give copies
to your map librarian, rare books librarian, preservation librarian,
archivist, etc.  The more the merrier!

        The Preservation Packet has been submitted to ERIC and has been
accepted for inclusion in the ERIC database.  That was doen in March 1993.
However, it takes ERIC approximately 6 months for a document to be indexed,
abstracted, and assigned an ED number.  I expect it will show up in ERIC
some time this Fall.  As soon as I am notified, I will post a notice to
these same lists.

        Barbara Hulyk, George Barnum, and I hope that you will find the
Preservation Packet a useful addition to you
you, your documents collection,
and other areas and departments in your library that deal with
preservation and conservation issues.

        If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact
me at one of the addresses listed below.

        One last request.  Please share this information with other lists
and, more importantly, with colleagues and fellow documents librarians
who do not have access to the internet and e-mail.

        Thanks for reading through this long message.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim Walsh
O'Neill Library