From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:29:45 -0500
We're getting ready to begin inputting data from the MAGERT Membership
survey, distributed last month via e-mail.
For those of you who did not respond yet and wish to, I am including an
e-mail version of the survey in this message. Please fill out and send to
me (electronically or otherwise) within the next week, and your responses
will be included in final results.

On behalf of the entire MAGERT Executive Board, many thanks to all who
returned the survey via fax, e-mail and regular mail.
Mary McInroy, MAGERT Membership Chair

MAGERT Membership Survey
February 2001

NOTE:  This survey is being sent to e-mail addresses of all members on the
ALA Office’s fall 2000 MAGERT membership list.  If you are NOT currently a
MAGERT member, see Question 1B below and tell us why you dropped your
membership.

In order to better determine and serve the needs of our members, the MAGERT
Executive Board is asking that you take a few minutes to fill out the
following survey.  I am sending the survey as a Microsoft Word attachment,
as well as in the body of this message.  If you have trouble reading the
survey, please e-mail me.

Return survey responses by February 28 to Mary McInroy, MAGERT Membership
Chair at [log in to unmask] (you may also send to my mail address or
fax, listed at the end of the message)

Question #1a.
How long have you been a MAGERT member?
___less than 3 years
___3-5 years
___over 5 years
___I am not currently a member  (see Question 1b below)
       Question #1b.
If you are NOT a MAGERT member…….
         1) Why did you drop your membership?

         2) What could MAGERT do to entice you to join once more?

         3) Are you interested in subscribing to “base line” as a
non-MAGERT member?  If so, see information at the end of this
paragraph.*  Also feel free to answer any still-pertinent questions in the
survey, then send in your answers to [log in to unmask]
*”baseline” subscription information.
If you are interested in subscribing to "base line" but do not plan to
become a member of ALA:
ALA nonmember subscription rates are $15, U.S. and Canada; $20 for all
other foreign subscriptions.  Checks, payable to the American Library
Association, should be mailed to
Peter Linberger, base line Subscription Manager,
Bierce Library, University of Akron, Akron,
OH.  44325-1707.  Tel:330/972-8230.  Fax:330/972-7225.  E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Question #2.
Where do you work with maps and/or cartographic materials?  Check all that
apply.
___In elementary/secondary education
___In higher education
___In a commercial setting
___In a public library
___In a special library/resource center
___OTHER (please explain)
___I do not specifically work with maps/cartographic materials (skip to
Question #9)
Question #3.
How do you work with maps and/or cartographic materials?  Check all that
apply.
___Acquiring materials
___Cataloging/making materials accessible to the public
___Teaching about materials and how to use them
___Answering informational/reference questions about these materials
___OTHER (please explain)

Question #4.
How much of your position is devoted to working with maps/cartographic
materials?
___Under 25%
___25-50%
___Over 50%
Question #5.
Which mapping and cartographic materials do you work with in your
position?  Check all that apply.
___Printed maps/charts received via federal depository
___Printed maps/ charts received via gifts and acquisitions/orders placed
by my library
___CD-ROM-based maps/cartographic materials
___Web-based maps/cartographic materials
___Desktop GIS programs, such as ArcView, Maptitude, MapInfo
___Electronic spatial data
___Reference materials:  cartobibliographies, cartographic journals,
gazetteers, etc.
___Rare maps and atlases
___Aerial photos
___Satellite images
___OTHER (please explain):

Question #6
Of the materials listed in Question #5, which one is most problematic and
why?  How could MAGERT help you with that one problem area, e. g., annual
program on GIS for beginners?

Question #7
What difficulties do you face in your work with maps and cartographic
materials?  Check all that apply.
___Inadequately trained staff
___Shortage of money for staff
___Shortage of money for collections
___Shortage of space
___Shortage of equipment
___Providing access to the materials for my clientele
___Finding out about and acquiring cartographic materials
___OTHER (please explain):

Question #8.
Of the difficulties listed in Question #7, which one is most problematic
and why?  How could MAGERT help you with that one problem area?

Question #9.
How often do you read/browse “base line” (MAGERT’s newsletter)?
___I read most of every issue
___I browse through most issues
___I look at it only when I have time
___I seldom read it
Question #10.
What is the most useful part of “base line” for you?

Question #11.
What information/sections would you like added to “base line”?

Question #12.
Are you aware that selected sections of past issues of “base line” are
available on the MAGERT website at http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/magert1.htm?
___Yes
___No
Question #13.
How often do you attend ALA Annual Conference?
         ___almost every year
         ___irregularly
         ___very seldom or never (skip to Question 15)

Question #14.
When you attend an ALA Annual Conference, how often do you attend
MAGERT-sponsored meetings/events?
___almost always
___irregularly
___very seldom or never
Question 15.
How often do you attend ALA’s Midwinter meeting?
___almost every year
___irregularly
___very seldom or never (skip to Question #17)
Question 16.
When you attend ALA’s Midwinter meeting, how often do you attend
MAGERT-sponsored meetings/events?
___almost always
___irregularly
___very seldom or never
Question 17.
If you attend ALA conferences and meetings, where do you get your advance
information on MAGERT schedules/programs for conferences?
___MAGERT reception
___MAGERT webpage
___Maps-l listserv
___base line
___I can’t find advance information
___I do not attend ALA’s conferences and meetings (skip to Question #19)
___OTHER(please explain):

Question #18.
If you attend ALA conferences and do not attend MAGERT functions, what are
your reasons for not attending MAGERT events?
___Content does not interest me
___Scheduling conflicts
___I do not feel welcome
___I don’t have enough information about the events ahead of time
___OTHER (please explain):

Question #19.
Are you currently involved on a MAGERT committee or special project?
___Yes  (skip to Question #21)
___No
Question #20.
What are some of the reasons you are not involved on a MAGERT committee or
special project?  Check all that apply.
___I don’t attend ALA conferences
___I’m not interested in committee work
___I have too many other commitments
___I have not felt welcome
___OTHER (please explain):

Question #21.
What are some of the ways MAGERT can help you become more active in the
organization?

Include any “Additional Comments” you wish below:

Please send your responses--by February 28-- via e-mail to
[log in to unmask] (you may also send to my mail address or fax number,
both listed below).  Thank you very much.

Mary McInroy, MAGERT Membership Committee Chair.
Government Publications Department and Map Collection
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA  52242-1420
FAX:  (319)335-5900

Mary McInroy