From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:19:39 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L Digest - 13 Oct 2010 to 15 Oct 2010 (#2010-200)
Date:   Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:18:09 -0500
From:   Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi Linda!
        When I was a young man tramping around the Civil War battlefields
with my Grandfather during the Centennial (hard to believe that was almost
fifty years ago!), I was told that Union cannoneers found US Coast Survey
benchmarks near their lines in Fredericksburg, VA, placed there as part of
their ante-bellum rivers survey. The benchmarks were forthwith dug up and
tossed away, because they were thought to have recently been placed there by
the sneaky southerners as range indicators, since they were marked "CS" for
"Coastal Survey," and they were thought to really mean "Confederate States"
by the Union artillerymen.
        Has anyone else on the MAPS-L ever heard this story, and have a
reference to cite? I don't know if this is simply folklore, a rural myth or
is perhaps even true.

Lee Hadden

R. Lee Hadden, BA, BS, MLS
Geospatial Information Library (Map Library)
Army Geospatial Center
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315
(703) 428-9206