From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:13:15 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: good maps
Sender: Michael Siegel <[log in to unmask]>

 In the message below, JW asked about map making software and finding
freelance cartographers. All of the software I know of requires a
substantial investment to purchase and to learn how to use.

 The software can not help you with map design, which is what makes a map
communicate effectively and aesthetically pleasing.

 The North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS) maintains a
list of member cartographers:

http://www.nacis.org/members.html

There is a separate link for University Cartography labs on the same page.

You will find URLs to look at samples of the cartographer's work, and
contact information for you to request a cost estimate.

Mike

Mike Siegel,Staff Cartographer
(732) 445-4054; FAX (732) 445-0006
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu
Department of Geography
Lucy Stone Hall, Livingston Campus
Rutgers, The State University
54 Joyce Kilmer Avenue
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8045

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> Hello Maps-L:
>      Recently this question came in via e-mail about cartography
> software.  I do not have a good answer for the question.  Does anyone on
> Maps-L?
> Johnnie Sutherland
> Curator of Maps
> University of Georgia
>
> XXXXXX Question XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>

> I work for the Southeastern Power Administration, which is an agency
> under the Department of Energy responsible for marketing electric power
> generated at Federal dams in 10 states.  We have need for maps for
> internal use, presentations, and publication in our annual reports, web
> site, etc.
>
> Most of the mapping software I have found is either a) too complex for
> our needs, or b)  appropriate for street maps, which do not fit our
> needs.
>
> Can you recommend
>         a) mapping software that might be appropriate for us, and/or
>
>         b) a freelance Cartographer who can do the maps for us?
>
> Our web site is http://www.sepa.fed.us.  There are maps on our web site
> that I believe need to be improved, and our annual report can be
> downloaded from our web site as well.  These should give you an idea of
> the kind of maps I am looking for.
>
> Thank you for your time.  I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Sincerely,
> JW

> J. W. Smith
> Southeastern Power Administration