From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:58:41 -0400
Subject: USGS Forest Service Revised Quads
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:39:53 -0400
From: Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I am looking for facts and opinions on the USGS 7.5' quads that were
revised by the U.S. Forest Service.  I have been interfiling them with
'regular' USGS quads.  We are now creating cataloging records for state
sets.  My records are stretching out to include all the photorevised and
provisional editions of each quad, but I decided to draw the line at the
7.5 x 15 and the Forest Service quads.  The 7.5 x 15 are the only USGS
1:24,000 quad of a particular place, but for whatever reason I decided
to catalog them in a different record.

Does anyone have any particular knowledge about the difference between
the USGS and the Forest Service quads?  Are they indeed a different
product or simply a little extra shading and pink lines that shouldn't
bother anyone?  Many quads have other authors such as Corps of
Engineers, State agencies, etc.  Are the Forest Service quads simply
another variation or are they truly different?  Does the USGS consider
them to be part of the set or a different animal?

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Michigan State University
100 Library W308