Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 17:09:13 EDT

 The map reference collection at the Illinois State Library has been disseminate
 d throughout the library since it was created.  Since the map reference librari
 an was a part of the reference staff at first that was natural I suppose. Whate
 ver the call number was on an item that I considered "map reference" was where
 it was shelved as an integral part of the reference collection. When we moved i
 nto our new building over 3 years ago, I moved into a separate map reading room
 with a very small map reference collection on the third floor, but most of the
 map reference collection stayed in the general reference collection on the seco
 nd floor, in at least four different locations. Since I was alone in my outpost
  on 3, the idea was that the reference librarians would be doing some of the ma
 p reference. I suppose they do do some, but I do a lot of running to retrieve t
 he books I want from 2 too. And that's just the "reference" collection.  The Il
 linois county atlases, the two map rooms filled with map cabinets, and the circ
 ulating atlases and books, etc. are all in various near and far corners of the
 building.  I have a typed list of our map reference collection, which indicates
  where in the building a particular title is, and I will send a copy to Charlen
 e. Of course, this isn't an academic library, if that makes a difference.

 Arlyn Sherwood
 Map Librarian
 Illinois State Library
 217/782-5823 phone  217/782-4446 fax