From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:50:48 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Message from Jan Smits re: LIBER
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005
From: Nick Millea <[log in to unmask]>
To: lis-maps <[log in to unmask]>, maps-l
<[log in to unmask]>, carto-soc <[log in to unmask]>,
maphist-l <[log in to unmask]>

Dear All,

Apologies for cross-posting.......

Here's a message from Jan Smits concerning the LIBER website.

With best wishes,
Nick Millea

Dear Colleagues,

The website for the Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche, Groupe des
Cartothécaires de LIBER has been renewed and added to. Although the old internet-address
still works, the new address is

The progress-reports for 1984-1986 and 2002-2004 have been added:

For the period 1984 to 1986 the following reports are available:
Austria (German)
Belgium
Denmark
France (French)
Germany (German)
The Netherlands

For the period 2002 to 2004 the following reports are available:
Belgium (French)
Croatia
Estonia (French)
Finland
France (French)
Germany
Ireland
Latvia
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

Further the following 35 articles and their illustrations. These are listed in the introduction
 on alphabetical order of name of author and in the overview
 on subject:

Archier, Edwige (1984):Les nouvelles règles des mots-matières utilisées à la Bibliothèque
nationale de Paris et leur application aux documents cartographiques

Bäärnhielm, Göran (1984):Swedish National Bibliography: maps, plans and problems

Barber, Peter (1986): Binding versus map: conservation problems of a newly discovered
mappemonde - general considerations

Bos, E.S. (1984): The Netherlands Society for Cartography (NVK) and its Map Curators Group

Bühler, Jürg (1986): Die Aufbewahrung von Karten in Hängemappen. Erfahrungen mit der
vertikellagerung von Karten in der Kartensammlung der ETH-Bibliothek Zürich

Bzinkowska,Jadwiga (1988): The Most Valuable Cartographic Items from the Collection of the
Jagiellonian Library and their Impact on Scientific Research

Cernajsek, Tillfried (1986): Probleme der Aufbewahrung und Konservierung von Karten an
einer kleinen Fachbibliothek am Beispiel der Bibliothek der Geologischen Bundesanstalt

Clement-van Alkemade, Riet (1984): Map cataloguing and automation in the Netherlands: from
amateur to professional : with special reference to the university library map collections, and
in particular to the Free University Library of Amsterdam

Elliot, James (1986): The logistics of moving a map collection

Elliot, James (1988): The Use of OPACs (Online Public Access Catalogues )

Essen, R van & C.Verlaan (1984): Technical drawings in the reclaimed land

Fackelmann, Michael (1986): Das Restaurieren von kartographischen Blättern aus Atlanten

Feijen, Martin (1984): Map cataloguing in the PICA environment

Günzel, Hermann (1986): Die Entwicklung von Richtlinien für die Einrichtung von
Kartensammlungen

Höhener, Hans-Peter (1986): Die Aufbewahrung der Karten in der Zentralbibliothek Zürich

Hoste, Frans E.Ch. (1984): Maps and technical drawings in archives - special problems and
special solutions

Jacobs, Els M. (1984): Lucas Jansz Waghnaer Van Enckhuysen (1533/4-1606): his impact on
maritime cartography

Lindgren, Margareta (1986): New initiatives in Sweden on a national level regarding paper and
map conservation

Milis-Proost, Greta (1986): Map conservation in the University Library of Ghent

Morris, Barbara A. and R.G. Healey and T.C. Waugh (1984): From map catalogue to database
with graphics in view

Patay, Klara (1988): Map usage in Hungary

Pelletier, Monique (1986): Map microfiches in the French National Library: a new programme

Rasmussen, Jørgen Nybo (1986): Karten und Zeichnungen im Dänischen Reichsarchiv -
Probleme mit ihrer Registrierung und Aufbewahrung

Smits, Jan (1986): Developments in professional schooling for curators of map collections and
topographical-historical atlases in The Netherlands

Smits, Jan (1984): Frontiers of access to cartographic materials within a repository library

Snellenberg, Han van (1984): A comprehensive classification system for cartographic information

Szykula, Krystyna (1988): The Cartographic Collection of the Wroclaw University Library - its
Nature , and Usefulness for Readers

Tyacke, Sarah (1984): Computer-based British Library map records

Vejlsgaard, Susan (1986): Our attempts to solve storage and conservation problems at the
Royal Library Map Room despite limited space and lack of economic means

Vries, Dirk de (1988): The Map Librarian as Intermediary between Collection and User

Vries, Dirk de (1986): Map storage in the new Leiden University Library

Vries, Dirk de (1984): Shall we catalogue the map or classify its information?

Wawrik, Franz (1986): Konservatorischen Erwägungen bei der Errichtung des neuen
Globenmuseums der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek

Wawrik, Franz (1984): Remodelling of the Map Department and Globe Museum of the Austrian
National Library

Wawrik, Franz (1988): User policy at the Austrian National Library's collection

The site contains now 115 full-text articles and 125 progress-reports for the period 1984-2004,
altogether some 1,287 files.

In a later stage I will add the articles and report for the conference of 2004 (when I have received
these in due course), and the articles for the conferences of 1978-1982. When I have done this
the site will contain all published material from the activities of the map-group.

I take hereby also the opportunity to thank all those colleagues who have given me their support
and greetings during my illness in 2003-2004. These have surely helped me to recover sooner
than I thought possible. I am glad to say that I am (most probably, as one can only say for sure
after several years) healed from the cancer and physically as well as mentally in a very good
condition. My speedy recovery made it possible that I am working full-time again since October
2004. While you had your [LIBER] conference in Cambridge (which I
didn't feel yet to be able to attend) I had a private conference with
Mary Larsgaard of UCLA, California, in Barcelona, which was very
exiting and fruitful.
Though I'm hardly working in my old job as mapcurator, my fondness for maps and the privations
they put on you as mapcurators is still in my mind. The Koninklijke Bibliotheek may make it
finally possible that ca. 20,000 descriptions of maps and map-sheets will be converted in 2006
to the Pica-database, and become available to colleagues and the public. Then we will also
add the 2,500-3,500 new acquisitions which have been gathering dust since 2000.
We will try to create a searchable database of the other ca. 45.000 descriptions of maps in
journals, books and atlases, described between 1979 and 1999 and make them somewhere
available on the Internet. They do not fit within the criteria for the national bibliography (though
they have been published within this medium in the past) and thus do not fit in the Pica-database.

Many thanks and many kind regards,

Jan Smits
Webmaster LIBER, GdC-site

Nick Millea
Map Librarian, Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3BG
tel:      01865 287119
fax:     01865 277139
email: [log in to unmask]

homepage: http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/guides/maps/