From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:03:20 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:32:41 -0500
From: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Aviel Ron
Sender: David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>

It is with great shock that I read Nat Case's message about Survey of
Israel Director General Aviel Ron's death.  It really brings home the
conflict in Israel.  He hosted a meeting at the Survey in Tel Aviv  for
the IFLA Section of Geography and Map Libraries during the August 2000
66th IFLA General Conference in Jerusalem.  He went out of his way to
make our members feel welcome with his wonderful staff.  He not only had
drinks and snacks for us, but arranged with his staff for a take away
lunch we could eat while driving back to Jerusalem, as we were on a
tight deadline for a paper session.  I am looking at photographs that I
took of that great day at the Survey with Director Ron and am grateful
for the peaceful time we had during the IFLA meetings.  It gives us a
real hope that this present conflict will have a swift conclusion and
the people of the region can respect each other as they did during our
time there in August 2000.

I wish to express on behalf of the IFLA Section of Geography and Map
Libraries our deepest sympathy for Aviel Ron's family and the staff of
the Survey of Israel.

David C. McQuillan, Chair
IFLA Section of Geography and Map Libraries

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina