From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:15:00 -0500
Subject: Re: two confusing LCGFT headings
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:43:40 -0400
From: Marc McGee <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello Chris and all,

I think you bring up an interesting question.  The distinction does seem
fuzzy.

I've been applying "Geospatial data" to any collections of GIS enabled
datasets where one is able to select individual feature layers from the
collection and use them in a GIS.  I also apply the more specific genre/form
heading for the form of the data…  e.g. Vector data, Raster data.

When I think of "Geodatabases" I think of self-contained datasets delivered
in a recognized database format (e.g. Access) or geodata packages that are
only available to be used in a specific (usually custom and proprietary)
software.  I suppose Geodatabases might also be used to describe online GIS
data repositories such as the Harvard Geospatial Library. I think the
definition is further confused by the wide use of the ESRI data structure,
Geodatabases…  which I'd actually consider "Geospatial data".  I'm not
sure
the heading was intended to describe only the ESRI data type.

Maybe one way to think about the distinction would be that Geodatabases are
collections of geospatial data intended to be searched?

It would be useful for the whole community to come to a consensus on a clear
definition and update the scope notes.

Marc

Marc McGee
Geospatial Resources Cataloger
Harvard College Library Technical Services
625 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139

617-384-8406
617-384-7170 (FAX)