From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:11:09 -0600
Subject:        RE: USGS Monographs and Coordination of Services
Date:   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:12:33 -0600
From:   Hadden, Robert L ERDC-TEC-VA <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     <[log in to unmask]>

        Regretfully, the USGS Library is actually moving away from this
project. Although the USGS distribution center and the library are in the
same division, they do not coordinate their efforts. So items which have been
scanned and are available for free on the Internet through distribution, are
not hot linked in the USGS Library catalog. Thus, a desired item may be
available instantly at one USGS office, but unknown to the USGS library user.
        The user can then go to the publications warehouse and look for the
item, but they can only do this if they know how to, and that this may or may
not be a secondary resource. Nor does the distribution center refer the user
to the USGS Library for other resources. Ordinary coordination is not
ordinarily coordinated.
        Also, starting next year, the USGS Library will no longer catalog
electronic USGS publications. I'm not sure if the pubs warehouse will note
the new electronic USGS publications either. The new electronic publications
will appear, and disappear, with no organized cataloging or central control
or preservation. Rather than coordinate resources and use the USGS Library as
the center for information and as the authority on past and current USGS
publications, every one and every office at the USGS seems to be going their
own way.
        Ever since the USGS Library was removed from the research area of the
Geologic Division and placed in the GIO some years ago, the library has lost
resources, personnel and authority. As more and more items become electronic,
there is more and more division, eccentricity and confusion in locating,
finding and using the geological literature at the USGS.
        As resources contract, coordination of the already existing resources
needs to be improved. I hope the plans of Richard Huffine as National Library
Coordinator described below will come to fruition. However, with the past
history of USGS Library staff reductions (from 50 library staff to 17 at the
Reston library between 1995 and 2000) and budget cuts (for almost four months
this year they were unable to purchase any paper publications), I don't know
when this basic need will be filled. I hope it will be sooner, rather than
later.
        Lisa Dunn said recently, "...the external user community was not
generally perceived as significant to the Library's mission." and "...neither
the external user community nor the other libraries that shared their own
collections with the USGS were surveyed about the proposed budget cuts."
(Dunn, Lisa. 2008 "The US Geological Survey Library." GSIS Proceedings,
Volume 37, 2006, pages 73-74). Maybe we need to form a Friends of the USGS
Library group to apply some outside pressure from the geological "external
user's" community to fight for the library's mission and to help convince the
USGS administrators to support their own library. There has been little
support from within the USGS administration.
        They need something.

Lee

R. Lee Hadden
Geospatial Information Library (GIL)
Topographic Engineering Center
ATTN: CEERD-TO-I (Hadden)
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315-3864
(703) 428-9206

"Curiosity is not a nice virtue- and it never leads to innocence." -Donna
Haraway

See some of my writings, both online and on paper, at my author page at:
http://www.librarything.com/author/haddenrobertlee