From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:37:26 -0600
Subject: RE: Cadastral vs. Plat
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:30:59 -0500
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I have been neutral on the genre headings (Tourist maps, Physical maps,
etc.), at least they up till now have used the form that had earlier
appeared as a form subheading.  I agree with Angie that Cadastral maps,
even if that is what they are (are they, are
they?), will not be a term users will understand.  Even if they see the
term, they will not know that it is standing in for plat maps.  As I
understand it, cadastral maps are based on land surveys, while plat maps
might be based on land surveys but are intended to show property
ownership.  These are compatible concepts, they might occur on the same
map, or they might not.

And on the subject of the 655 genre headings in particular, the search
is going to need to be certain to combine both area of interest, as well
as the genre heading.  Otherwise, a simple search on the genre is going
to produce many irrelevant (but accurate) results.  'Tourist maps?
Sheesh, do we have tourist maps!  Any particular area you want to be a
tourist in, eh, laddie?'

Keyword searching already worked before this 'innovation'.  I don't know
what was improved.  It does add one more line to the 65x fields in a
record, and I have always searched for the most economical approach to
cataloging, covering what is needed in as few fields as necessary.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA