From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:05:10 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:53:41 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re:Organizing Maps using SUDOCS
Sender: [log in to unmask]

I have received helpful responses from many of you, and thanks.  We also
file our topos by state and name, and when I mentioned vertical files, I
meant large map hanging files, which the topos fit into with ease.  We have
to fold the BLM maps in half, just to give you an idea of the size.  They
each hold 60 hanging files, with a storage capacity of 60 pieces each, for
a working collection, and double that for just storing maps.  So there are
about 3600 maps, and we have 8 cases.  We have allowed some room for
growth, but not much, since most of the depository maps are supercedes, and
we don't archive old editions except for the state of NV.
What many of you said in your replies was that a publication titled
"Cumulative Title Index to United States Public Documents-1789-1976" would
probably be helpful.  Unfortunately, we have it on order from an
out-of-print dealer, so that sounds like a longshot to me.  Our acquistions
staff member suggested I ask my listserves if they know of any that might
be available.
So, if you do know of a copy, there would be grateful library staff here at
UNLV!

Debra McCracken
Research and Information II Assistant
4505 Maryland Parkway  Box 457039