From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:37:22 -0500
Subject:        [Fwd: Re: 1930ish US Coast & Geodetic Survey charts]
Date:   Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:32:01 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I am forwarding this continued conversation to Maps-L, with John Cloud's
permission. The html images associated with these messages will not post
to the list, so only the text will show. Also, he had a short note re:
the issue of the dates in the compass rose:

   "I told you it got ugly!  Go ahead and forward anything you want.

   One tip though: Re: "and a date in the magnetic declination device
   on the map (usually just the year, often later than the edition
   dates in the lower margin)"

   At the time a "new" edition of a chart comes out, whatever magnetic
   variation is shown on the compass rose, if its correct to the time
   the plate is completed, will soon be obsolete because of the small
   changes (secular variations)  in declination.  So often the compass
   rose variation would be set forward into the future a bit.  Hence,
   here are crops from the chart for Nantucket harbor, "published" in
   1889, with the compass rose set for the variation of 1890-- and
   then, for at least this specimen, "printed" in 1891.

   Good luck cataloging something like this! "

                                      Joel Kovarsky