From:
John Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:16:27 EDT
I have been told by someone from USGS that I could use a software package
called XTree Gold to view the digital orthophoto quadrangle data on cd-rom
recently distributed by GPO.  XTree Gold is a file management system but also
includes a viewer.  I was told this viewer could view the compressed JPEG
files on the cd-roms and the files would not have to be decompressed first.
This person was very sure of what they were saying and one of his colleges said
that he was their expert in this area.  However, other knowledgable people
have said that this couldn't be done.  Perhaps I've misunderstood something.

Has anyone used XTree Gold to view compressed JPEG files without decompressing
them?  I don't want to request that the library purchase a copy until I get
confirmation that it will do what I want it to do.  If we could view the files
without taking up a lot of memory on the hard drive it would be convenient.

Thanks.

John Kennedy
Government Documents/Map Librarian
Temple University