From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 07:23:18 -0500
Subject:        Call number Question for Local Maps
Date:   Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:36:10 +0000
From:   Heidi Southworth <[log in to unmask]>

My name is Heidi Southworth and I am the Cataloging Librarian up at
UW-River Falls. I am working on cataloging our local area maps for our
archives and I know you are busy like the rest of us, but I have a few
quick questions that I was wondering if you can answer.

The maps that I am working on will fall under the “sub-area map”
category and I have been checking LC and other to make sure I have the
right pattern/order.

For example, I have a map of River Falls, made by J. J. Stoner from
1880, so the call number would be:

G4124.R8 1880 .S7

Right?

Is the second cutter always one letter and one number instead of 2
numbers or does it depend on what your library wants to do?

Then, my strange question is – do you know why there is a second period
in front of the cutter for the authority responsible for the map? Many
times when you have a second cutter, there isn’t a period – I can only
believe that you use the period because of the placement of the year.
This is not a big deal – just a curiosity for me. I’ve been racking my
brain trying to come up with the rule for this but cannot.

Also, the tables state that you can “Apply Table G1a for subject” when
you are using the number for cities and town, etc. A-Z. Have you ever
seen this, I have only seen examples of numbers that apply the G4124
table and then add the cutter for authority responsible for the map. I
have only see the G1a table applied to G4121 numbers.

Thank you for your time! I would appreciate any assistance.

Heidi

--

Heidi Southworth

Cataloging & Metadata Librarian