From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:28:21 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Patrick Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], "Discussion group for map history" <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:14:31 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: RM: Gousha oddity

Kudos to Curtis Carroll, the indefatigable Gousha collector who matched a series of U.S. regional maps to the August 10, 1939 Buyer's Guide supplement(s) issued by the cattle trade journal The Shorthorn World. Now we're in the process of trying to track down the accompanying text(s), which might simply be a numbered directory of cattle ranches.

Many thanks for the other helpful suggestions we received.

--Pat Morris
--
Patrick A. Morris
312-255-3674 [log in to unmask] Search our map catalog at www.biblioserver.com/newberry Newberry Library web site: www.newberry.org Patrick Morris wrote:

Gentle Readers,

Attached here is an image of a peculiar Gousha road map we've run across at the Newberry Library, titled Official Territorial Road Map : Central United States (Chicago : H.M. Gousha Co., [1939?]), plate no. M-8 at bottom right.

The base map is printed in blue but overprinted in red with hundreds of unidentified points in rural areas well off the road network. These points are connected with radiating lines to numbers printed in the margins within circle and square borders, but without a key to these numbered sites, which are apparently NOT state parks.

Any ideas about what is being located would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Pat Morris

------=_Part_36564_33701700.1250980101041--