From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:13:25 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:26:32 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: genealogy question <fwd>
Sender: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>

All I can offer at present is simple 'Lochovice' (both the 'ch' and the 'h'
are aspirated at different levels of intensity in Czech) on the 1:75
000-scale Austro-Hungarian/Czech Republic map series, sheet Zone 6 Col.
[roman] X 'Beraun und Horowitz'/4052 'Horovice a Beroun' of 1882 and
1925/1926 (and on these and other maps to the 1990s).  On none of them is
there a 'Velke' [or, rather, Vel'ke - meaning 'Large' or 'Great'] Lochovice
(if there were, one might usually expect also an adjacent or nearby 'Male'
[meaning 'Small' or 'Little').  Position: approx. N 49 degrees 51 minutes/E
13 degrees 59 minutes; it is not for me to opine whether this is "perhaps
near Prague"!

Sincerely
Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG; 'just in' this a.m. from 39th
Annual Meeting of the Society for the History of Discoveries, St Louis MO)

--- End Forwarded Message ---