From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:15:12 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:03:38 -0700
From: Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: US National Atlas Online and commercial repackaging
Sender: Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I have been following the discussion with much interest and would like to
add another perspective.

As a map librarian, I have concerns about current trends:

Congress is encouraging government agencies to develop "CRADA's"
(cooperative research   and development agreements) with private industry.

        As a result , for example, the National Ocean Service has developed
a CRADA with    Map Tech to produce nautical charts that will be
copyrighted, and        for the SHORT term -    still available to
depository libraries (in paper format).

My concerns are:

1) an existing trend with gov't agencies in this direction
2) the serious impact on depository libraries and the depository program
with regards to         availability, format, archiving..........
3) copyright issues and free access to government information

Finally, were it not for the federal depository library program, the Map
Library that I'm responsible for would not exist.  My acquisitions budget is
$1200 per year, and the collection size is in excess of 235,000 map sheets.

with appreciation for this listserv and the wonderful discussions that
result,

sincerely,

Janet Collins, Map Librarian
Huxley Map Library, AH 101