From:
Maps-L Moderator for Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:01:48 -0600
Subject:        Re: Paper vs. Digital maps
Date:   Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:47:35 -0500
From:   Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Scott's logic is good and reminds us of the first step in the work
flow of building digital collections; that is determining copyright
status.  However, we should not lose sight of the the fact that it is
a "first step" and we should strive to continue on the journey.  Of
our research map collections a good portion are AMS or DMA collections
which map the WWII and post-WWII world.  Are those in the public
domain?  Can they be digitized, geo-referenced and enhanced in a
cooperative, collaborative manner?  Scanning these maps as part of, or
modeled by GPO's  Digitization of the Legacy Government Documents
Collection  http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=13&l2=19&l3=121.
Certainly making these available online would alleviate space issues
in many research libraries and empowering these images as digital
geo-spatial data objects would provide pedagogic and research
opportunities.

Patrick McGlamery
Map Librarian emeritus
MAGIC@UConn