From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:47:56 -0500
Subject:        [ANZMapS] FYI: new online mapping of ANZAC diggers
Date:   Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:22:53 +1000
From:   Ross Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

*Online map for diggers*

Published Tue, 19/04/2011

A new online map launched by the National Archives in Canberra shows the
home towns of World War I diggers, and allows people to view individual
service records, build tributes, or attach memories to an online scrapbook.
The web map, entitled Mapping Our Anzacs, allows researchers or
community members to start at an area and find all the diggers from that
area. Previous to this, researchers had to start with a name, rather
than a place. Now, any interested community member can quickly find all
the diggers that were born or enlisted in their town.
Users can also create an online tribute to a group of service personnel.
You select the person or people by family name, or select a group of
people by their association with a town. Once grouped together, a unique
URL is created for the tribute page, which you can share with friends,
town members and others.
The online scrapbook functionality allows photos, videos or other
memorabilia to be upload to the site. The collection of scrapbook
entries is available at http://our-anzacs.tumblr.com/
The mapping service is available at http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/