From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:00:34 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:38:51 -0700
From: Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: New Web Sites--Check These Out
Sender: Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'MAPS-L' <[log in to unmask]>

----
Hello All,

	In the event that you are not aware of this resource, I thought
I would post the information.  The last few years, the Bureau of Land
Management has been automating their land records and releasing CD-ROMs
indexing homesteads, cash entry patents, etc.  This means that the
genealogists we deal with finally have a source to search for the exact
location of Grandpa's homestead, farm or whatever.  So far, they have
released 10 CDs, which may or may not have been passed on to your Map
Collection.  A sample cash entry patent record, showing the name of the
patentee and the location of the patent is below.

	Before you go to your local documents librarian to beg for these
disks, I suggest that you check out the BLM's new web site titled "The
Official Land Patent Records Site" at http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/.
>From this site, you can search for land records from any of 11 states
AND view a scanned image of each patent record.  To view the scanned
images, you must be running a very current edition of Netscape or
Explorer (BLM recommends 4.0).

	Also of interest, the U.S. Geological Survey is beginning to
work on a revised National Atlas of the United States.  They have an
interactive map browser that on the Web at http://www-atlas.usgs.gov/.

	Both of these sites are worth checking out.  Linda Zellmer

Linda Zellmer
Map Librarian
Arizona State University Libraries
P.O. Box 871006