From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:40:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Any map digitization guidelines/spectifications (2)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:06:11 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

What Virginia describes so well is the fact that these pdf maps are
actually vector graphics.  They're born this way--each letter is
described mathematically as part of a font set.

Most of you realize this, but it's always worth a reminder.  No matter
how large a resolution you scan at, you could never get this by scanning
a paper map.  Eventually you would just start seeing the texture of the
paper.

Jon Jablonski
Map & Imagery Laboratory
UC Santa Barbara